Thursday, March 21, 2013

DECORATING WITH SUCCULENTS by Stacy McSpadden

Back in the fall when I participated in designing a Vesta Showhouse, my old friend Erick New from the Garden District in Memphis supplied several florals and plants to soften our house.  One plant that he used and I fell in love with is the succulent. I want to show you some great ways to decorate using these low maintenance plants.  

First of all, we need to define the "succulent." Wikipedia defines it like this:

In botany, succulent plants, also known as succulents or sometimes fat plants, are plants having some parts that are more than normally thickened and fleshy, usually to retain water in arid climates or soil conditions. Succulent plants may store water in various structures, such as leaves and stems. Some definitions also include roots, so that geophytes that survive unfavourable periods by dying back to underground storage organs may be regarded as succulents. In horticultural use, the term "succulent" is often used in a way which excludes plants that botanists would regard as succulents, such as cacti. Succulents are grown as ornamental plants because of their striking and unusual appearance.

Now after the show, I was able to take a small pot of these hearty plants to my house. I have placed it on my coffee table and have enjoyed it all winter. Since I don't have a green thumb, this has been the perfect plant for me. I think I may have watered it twice since October, and it looks as great as it did when Erick brought it to us. I have seen on Pinterest and design magazines some great ideas for decorating and entertaining with these jewels.


        
I love the way these were used to decorate what looks like a dining table for a party. The great thing about this is that you can also use the simple pot with one plant for a great party favor!


       
I also love this grouping of several plants to create an interesting arrangement on a chest or console. The various colors and textures make for a very interesting tablescape.


               
This is a great container because it uses a mixture of succulents and other tropical type plants. Great for a centerpiece.

So the question is, how do we grow these wonderful plants? Well, I found a great article that will instruct you as to how you should plant and care for these plants. This is a relatively inexpensive way to make a big impact on you home.

http://www.gardeners.com/Growing-Succulents-in-Containers/7020,default,pg.html

Enjoy getting your hands in the dirt and using God's creation to make a statement in your home!

Stacy McSpadden
Manager of Interior Design Services
Chestnut Hall Interiors
3075 Forest Hill Irene Road
Germantown, Tennessee 38138
901.753.8515

stacy@chestnuthall.com







No comments:

Post a Comment