Friday, August 17, 2012

WHEN WILL I LET JESUS BE ENOUGH? by Vicki Taylor


I told my husband the other night that I’d had an epiphany.  There was silence in the room while I waited for him to respond, since I usually don’t use words like that.  Finally, he said, “I’m waiting.”  (He’s a man of very few words.)  I told him I felt God was showing me that I was a very needy person. To which he responded, he did not see that in my life. (I think I see why I married him, he’s very wise) Then he asked me why I felt God was showing me this…

I am very needy, especially when it comes to friends. I need my friends to talk to, confide in, share with…well, you see where I’m going with this.  But lately, God has been showing me that He is enough.  Enough for everything I need. Enough for every hurt, every discouragement, every disappointment, and every single thing that comes my way that I think I can or cannot handle.  He is everything and more. He is enough!

So why do I look around for someone or something to meet that need in my life?  Is this just another area of growth for me and I have been resisting it like a spoiled child not wanting to give up that favorite toy?  When will I finally get to that place where I can honestly say to myself that Jesus is enough for me? When I do, will I immediately graduate to the next level of Christian living? Do I get the gold star or a new Bible showing some new spiritual growth in my life?   Ugh! Probably not!

In His Word Philippians 4:19 says, “My God will supply all my needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.” Let’s make that personal.  He will meet all my needs in Christ because I am in Christ.  He is in me making Him enough. He meets all my needs.  He is enough. I have to admit I’ve actually searched the Bible for that word “enough” in order for Him to tell me He is “enough” from His Word. Really, every version! Like He doesn’t do that anyway?  There’s I Peter 5:7, “Cast all your cares (needs) on Him because He cares for you.” Isn’t that enough?

When I grow up and decide to quit chasing the things that will never meet my needs and begin to realize that Jesus is enough, I can lay all I have at His feet and rest in love because He truly is my “enough.” Is He enough for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment