Thursday, August 23, 2012

GOD'S WORD IS ALIVE by Vicki Taylor


Hebrews 4:12 – The Word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

The Word of God is alive and it is active… think about this for a moment … the Word of God is alive and active.  It can breathe life into the dead, lift up the downcast, encourage the discouraged, and give new life to the believer.  It moves us, stirs us, shapes us, comforts us, lifts us up, gives us joy, and shows us the way to Christ.  It’s definitely active.

The Word is also sharper than any double-edged sword. Think for a moment of a surgeon’s scalpel.  It can cut into the deepest part of the human body, cutting tissue and bone back to the very inward parts.  God’s Word can cut open and dissect our hearts wide open where the spirit and soul meet, exposing our deepest self to Him.  Nothing is hidden from Him, nothing!  Everything there is exposed for Him to see.  In other words, He knows me!  He knows my deepest needs, my deepest hurts, my deepest thoughts, my deepest grudges, and my deepest self.  And He judges the thoughts and the attitudes in my heart (ouch)!

As I hold His Word in my lap, I come to realize that this book I hold is not really a book.  It really is a person, a real live person who speaks to me and breathes life into me.  Ann Voskamp says, “The passion on the page is a Person.”  I have never looked at my Bible like that before, but she’s right!  This book I hold is a Person and that Person is Christ!  He is the Person who gives me strength when I am weak, heals me when I am sick, forgives me when I sin, and keeps me focused on His work.  He is my passion. He is the reason we are here. He is the one who holds us and understands why we suffer because He Himself has suffered for us. He understands our pain. 

I can no longer hold my Bible and think of it as a book.  My Bibles are my most treasured possessions.  And yes, I have many of them, and use all of them.  I love His Word and I love spending time with Him.  Stop today and pick up your Bible and see if you can see the Person on the page.  He’s patiently waiting for you.



No comments:

Post a Comment