Wednesday, October 26, 2011

DISCOVERING YOUR STYLE by Stacy McSpadden

Style Defined

When I was asked to write about interior design and decorating a home, I decided that I wanted to make the concept of making your house a home something simple.  Most people think that it is an overwhelming task, but the reality is that your house should reflect your personality and priorities.  I work with many different people with many different tastes on a daily basis, and as a designer, I have to be ready to change my "design" hat from one moment to the next.  For those of you who don't work in the field of design, you have the advantage of pinpointing your style and focusing on it for your own home.  A lot of times, I have new clients that come in and have no clue where to even begin with their project.  When this happens, I always recommend looking through books and magazines.  Making a file of rooms that you like will help you get started.  Some questions to ask while sorting through the pictures are:  Am I contemporary, traditional, or a mix of both, which we call transitional?  Do I like color or do I want a neutral palette?  How does my family use this room?  Do I like window treatments?  Do I want a lot of accessories?  By asking yourself these questions, you really begin to form your own style.  

I have a few magazines, books, and blogs that I would love to recommend to you as you begin your design journey.  Some of my favorite magazines are Traditional Home, Veranda, House Beautiful, and Country Living.  My style is traditional, but comfortable, so I think these are good sources for ideas regarding latest trends without being too "out there" for our southern way of life.

The first book is domino:  The Book of Decorating.  This book has some simple styles and ideas for how to make your home a place that makes you comfortable and happy.


The next book is The House in Good Taste by Elsie de Wolfe.  This book has been around for many years, but her concepts of traditional design are timeless.


Blogs are the latest and least expensive way to learn new ideas.  My co-designer at Chestnut Hall, Lana Zepponi, writes a great blog on trends and styles that we are seeing at Market and in the Interior Design industry.  Her ideas are fresh and exciting!  This is a must read.  Here is the link to her blog: http://www.chestnuthall.com/blog/

The main thing is to begin to pinpoint your personal style and then watch it evolve into your own design masterpiece.  Until next week...Happy Designing!

In Him,
Stacy







Stacy McSpadden
Manager of Interior Design Services
Chestnut Hall Interiors
3075 Forest Hill Irene Road
Germantown, Tennessee 38138
901.753.8515
stacy@chestnuthall.com

No comments:

Post a Comment