Friday, February 11, 2011

"Stopping to 'Smell the Roses'" Nellita Young

Some years ago friends of mine toured a well known rose garden while on their vacation out of state.   While strolling down the many beautiful pathways, they spent an hour or so just enjoying the time together and “smelling the roses.”  After all that walking, the couple decided to go into town to have lunch at one of the local restaurants.  As the friendly waitress took their orders, she commented, “Oh, you’ve been to the rose gardens, haven’t you?”  My friends looked rather surprised at her and said, “Why, yes, - we have, but how did you know?”  The waitress smiled and then replied, “Oh, the smell … the fragrance of the roses lingers on your clothing, and I could still smell the roses on you!”

Exodus 34: 29 – 30a states, “When Moses came down from Mount Sinai with the two tablets of the Testimony in his hands, he was not aware that his face was radiant because he had spoken with the LordWhen Aaron and all the Israelites saw Moses, his face was radiant … .  Upon reading this, I began to think, “What about me?  Do I have a glow about me when I have been with the Lord?  Can others tell when I have been spending time with Him - the Rose of Sharon??  … Or not!!??”

When a waitress is slow getting my food to me at the restaurant or when the customer service personnel on the phone does not meet my needs, can they tell that the fragrance of Jesus is on me by my attitude?  If others look at me, can they tell by my demeanor that I am trusting in One much stronger and wiser than I to get me through my circumstance, regardless of how difficult it is?  When others hear the choice of words that I use or watch the way I act outside of church, can they tell that I am a follower of Christ?  I daresay that when we have truly spent time with Him … leisurely strolling through His Word and enjoying His very presence … others will certainly be able to tell because the beautiful fragrance of Him will still be clinging to us.  “But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of Him.  For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing.  To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life”  (2 Cor. 2: 14 -16a).

Oh, -- have you noticed, too, that being around “fake roses” will not leave a precious fragrance on you??  Substituting other things for quality time with the Lord – yes, even good things (After all, many fake flowers look almost authentic!!) – will not result in a sweet aroma.  Eventually, when put to the test, their deception is revealed.  I have some beautiful artificial flowers in a vase in my home that look almost real, and many times I have noticed visitors bending down to smell them.  They have quickly realized that there is no fragrance and that they are just a reproduction.  Have you realized, too, that a quick run through the garden won’t offer the same results either??  Taking the time to quickly read a few verses in God’s Word or rushing through a “God bless what’s-his-name” prayer will not produce that same sweet aroma!  So, it is my prayer that each of us as believers will take the time to really study and to meditate upon His Word and to spend quality time in conversation with Him – both talking and listening.

So, stroll through His beautiful Garden of Wisdom; stop and “smell the roses.”  Then, hopefully others will be able to look at us and say, “There is something really special about them!  They just seem to have a glow that others do not have.  They must have been spending time with Jesus!”

2 comments:

  1. Mom,
    Thanks so much for sharing this! I know it is true, because I have smelled God's fragrance upon you!

    I love you,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Kim. I definitely agree. Thanks for such wisdom and being a Godly example.
    Love you,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete