Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Creole Okra by Paula Roten

I'm the girl who likes my okra cornmeal-coated and fried. Slimy okra? No way! But I happened upon a recipe years ago that surprised even me. I still can't believe I like it, but it is a dish I can't wait to have every summer when the fresh tomatoes and okra start coming in. 

A friend gave me some tomatoes recently, and I commented to my mother that I would love to have some fresh okra so I could make the Creole Okra. She said she had made it with frozen cut okra before and it did fine. So I decided to try it. It wasn't quite as good as the fresh, but it certainly hit my spot!


Creole Okra - 2 servings

1 T. butter
3/4 cup sliced okra
2 T. minced onion
2 T. minced green pepper

3/4 cup chopped tomato
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

1. Melt butter in skillet. Add the okra, onion, and green pepper. Cook for 5 minutes. 

2. Add the tomato, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook over low heat for 10-15 minutes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment