Thursday, December 6, 2012

WHAT I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS by Tony Manley


I admit it. I am a Thanksgiving person. One hundred percent Thanksgiving. Norman Rockwell Thanksgiving. When November comes, I would like to press the pause button and just savor the smells, foods, colors, and the expectations of the day! What does this descriptive explanation have to do with the Christmas season? Nothing, other than I am setting the stage for you about my heart toward Christmas.

I like the look of Christmas - the decorations, the baking aisle at Kroger, the children’s sweaters and dresses. I like the foods - chocolate and peanut butter balls, need I say more! I like the shows - A Charlie Brown Christmas can’t be beat! The Grinch is a close second, and then of course Holiday Inn!  I love the book The Best Christmas Pageant Ever – the story of the Herdmans. I challenge you to get a copy and fall in love with the heart changes of these misfit and maladjusted children as they get involved with the local church’s Christmas pageant! Priceless!!

With all these likes, my greatest desire is to live/experience Christmas with a “Jesus is the Reason for the Season” heart. That is the truth. Keeping my heart in the place of the preeminence of Christ, honoring Him, and truly wanting to be light and salt during this season, that is what I want…but this is where I struggle. I know intellectually that the Holy Spirit knows my thoughts and my ways at all times. He is my joy and I appreciate Him teaching and confronting me when I am not living out the truth of Christ’s Lordship in the spirit of giving, serving, receiving, and preparing. In other words – when I am living in the flesh.

So, what do I want for Christmas?

I want to avoid the distractions of the world in its sensory overload state during this time of year.

I want to be filled with joy, peace, and freedom as I shop, cook, clean, host, visit, and worship. 

I want to be light in the midst of darkness. 

I want to be peace in the middle of overwhelmed.

I want to be joy to someone’s heart.

I want my children and grandchildren to establish Christ honoring traditions early in their homes.

I want kindness and gentleness to permeate my home as I enjoy others’ gift of time to me. 

As I started writing, I actually thought I really don’t know many things I want for Christmas, but once I started writing, I realize I do want many gifts! Gifts that come from the heart and gifts that are of the heart! Happy Birthday, Jesus. 

“Thanks be to God for His Indescribable Gift.”  2 Corinthians 9:15





No comments:

Post a Comment