Tuesday, December 18, 2012

C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S by Paula Roten

I was listening to the Sounds of the Season music station on television one day when I heard a Christmas song that carried me back to childhood. I was taken to church from as young as I can remember. I was in the nursery and Sunbeams and Primaries and whatever came after that. I can remember Mrs. Castle teaching us Primaries. She could get a group of children to sing louder (and on pitch) than anybody I've ever known. I remember two songs from those Primary years. One was "God's Beautiful World." 


God's beautiful world.
God's beautiful world.
He made it for you.
He made it for me.
I love God's beautiful world.

The other song I remember is a Christmas song, the one I heard the other day. It's name is "C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S."

When I was but a youngster,
Christmas meant one thing.
That I'd be getting lots of toys that day. 
I learned a whole lot different
When Mother sat me down
And taught me to spell Christmas this way:

C is for the Christ Child, born upon that day.
H for herald angels in the night.
R's for our Redeemer.
I means Israel.
S is for the star that shone so bright.
T is for three wise men, they who traveled far.
M is for the manger where He lay.
A's for all He stands for.
S means shepherds came.
And that's why there's a Christmas day.
(Music by Eddy Arnold and lyrics by Jenny Lou Carson, 1949)


Can you believe I can remember a song I was taught probably 50 years ago? More importantly, I remember that someone loved us kids so much that she taught us the REAL meaning of Christmas. She taught us year after year after year. I've never forgotten her and the influence she had on my life.

Thank you, God, for all teachers everywhere who introduce children to Christ and shape lives for eternity.

(If you'd like to hear this song, click here to hear Perry Como sing it.) 



No comments:

Post a Comment