Wednesday, September 26, 2012

LESSONS FROM MALACHI by Vicki Taylor


We began our Monday night Ladies Bible Study on the book of Malachi a few weeks ago. Having never studied the book, I thought it might be interesting. Little did I know what I was in for. Now, something you might not know about me is that I am an avid reader… I read everything. My husband says I always have my nose in a book, usually two. Books are my friends. Really. I read as an escape when I was young, and it just stuck with me. I love to read!!!! The hardest part in reading a book is not turning to the back and seeing how it ends before I even begin to read it. Ok, so I am not the only person who does that, am I?

Back to Malachi…I decided to read the book, just to be ready. I mean it’s only four chapters. But something in chapter three caught my attention. So I thought I would share it with you.  

Malachi 3:16 & 17 – Then those who feared the Lord talked with each other, and the Lord listened and heard. A scroll of remembrance was written in His presence concerning those who feared the Lord and honored His name. “They will be mine,” says the Lord Almighty, “in the day when I make up my treasured possession. I will spare them, just as in compassion a man spares his son …”

First of all, isn’t it a comfort to us all that the Lord listens and hears us? Sometimes it’s just nice to be reminded. In this fast paced, rushed life, God still considers us important when we talk to each other and to Him. He is blessed when we fellowship with one another in His name and minister to each other. He listens … He hears.

Second, I don’t know about you, but I sure want my name on that scroll of remembrance. During those times when you think that the Lord has forgotten you, as the Israelites did, Malachi reminded them that not only will the Lord remember, but He will write it down. Even though it may look like the wicked are winning, they are not. God is watching and He is keeping a record of everything.

Third, then the Lord declares we will be His. Now that’s a statement to cling to in desperate times, during the hard times when life is tough. He’s our rock, our foundation, and an unmovable anchor to cling to. That’s a comfort to me. Then He goes on to say that He will make up His treasured possession. Strong’s Concordance states that as “chosen ones” or “jewels.” Think about the one thing in your life that is the most precious to you, just that one thing or person. That’s how the Father thinks about each one of us, as precious jewels, chosen people, treasures.  

Fourth, then He will spare us, and have compassion on us as a man spares or shows compassion for his own son. How many times has your child disobeyed or disappointed you? How many times have you shown compassion on them? That’s what the Lord will show on us, many times over. And I am very thankful for that!

I must confess, I did not know much about Malachi before this study, but I am so looking forward to getting to know him, and getting to know the ladies that attend each week. Even though I have already read the end of the story, I know I have so much more to learn. And I’m very thankful for that!





No comments:

Post a Comment