Friday, September 23, 2011

"Just Thinking..." - Tony Manley

Just Thinking…

When I became a teacher, I committed to being professional in my preparation, my relationships with parents, students, and other teachers, and I am held to a level of professional confidentiality in my knowledge of my students.  None of the above listed standards are new to me – I was taught this type of information when I was in college and in an ongoing way at my school.  When I married, I signed a “license” and stated verbally my commitment to my husband in basically all healthy and legal circumstances “till death do I part.”  When I became a Christian, I received new life, with new ways, “thinkings,” and new purpose.

As I have been in each of these three journeys, I have grown and changed.  Life does that to you!  But last spring I entered into a written covenant with my work that has served me well in all of my “hats” daily.  Let me explain…

As a teacher, each year I sign a contract agreeing to a salary, certain expectations, and agreed on responsibilities.  This last spring, I also signed a five part covenant.  I keep it hanging above my desk so that I can be reminded about what I signed. It is a deeper level of “gut check” for me and a great reminder of my heart in the “dailiness” of my calling (follower of Christ, wife, and teacher…ever noticed we don’t necessarily have a written parenting contract/license?!)  I love these five principles and wanted to find a way to remember them quickly and to know immediately where and how I was doing.  I learn by “tricks.” Acronyms help me a lot!  My husband gave me this acronym “MUDAP” for the covenant. Besides the covenant being so before me, God spoke so loudly to me recently about the word “muttering.”  Just pronouncing the word sounds negative!  So, then a formula was created for my heart to use as I wear all my hats each day:
MUDAP TAKES AWAY MUTTERING

M is for mission.  God gives me a mission to embrace and wholeheartedly promote for His glory.
U is for unity.  God wants me to be a promoter of unity through my words and lifestyle for His glory.
D is for discord.  God is grieved by discord and makes a way for me to flee, address, and respond to offenses through His word and for His glory.
A is for authority. God is my authority and has given me “skin” authorities.  I am to submit to those over me in authority and to lead those under my authority in a manner that brings glory to His name.
P is for prayer.  God gives me the privilege to know Him in a greater way by experiencing His presence, power, peace, and protection through prayer. Truly, I am changed as a pray-er and by prayer.
When all five of these areas are under the power of the Holy Spirit’s indwelling presence in my life, there is no MUTTERING!!!

Now, that’s exciting!  I love doing my “gut check.”   MUDAP  –  keeping this in front of me keeps me accountable and free! 

No comments:

Post a Comment