Friday, May 27, 2011

Walmart Children - Tony Manley


 
I learn a lot of things watching children in Walmart!  Children in Walmart tend to be either resistant or running ahead.  Rarely, do I get to see one just “with” Mom or Dad.  Let me explain.

Walmart is overwhelming with distractions – good things, needful things, extra things, and unnecessary things all to be categorized by the shopper.  When going to Walmart there are specific purposes, usually with some type of list – written or mental, and when going with a child, a speech of reminders may be delivered before entering into the mission of Walmart’s purpose. 

Here comes the observation – children are much like me as I enter my day with the Lord.  He and I have sat together in the morning and discussed the purpose, the mission that He has laid out for me that day.  He has explained there are many distractions I will encounter in my day – good, bad, necessary, unnecessary, hurtful…the list continues much like the shelves at Walmart.  I get up and get ready for the day trip, believing I am prepared.  I have heard His heart and I truly believe we are on the same page (picture the unity of adult and child as they enter Walmart) UNTIL I encounter my first “thing.”  I either want/need desperately or do not want.  Meltdown may begin.  Whining, complaining, wrong attitudes – all seem to be escalating.  Other people are beginning to be drawn in as the “ugly” is magnified.  Then there in the aisle, the heart that runs ahead and is constantly being pursued because that heart is way ahead and into things it has no idea will be hurtful or unnecessary.  Again, others are drawn in and affected – annoyance, pity, tired/weary…

I am learning to ask the Lord to help me be the Wal-Mart child who compliantly and joyfully holds the hand of the One who brought me here versus the child who goes resisting (kicking and screaming) or even the child who runs ahead and misses all that was intended for her. 

“When we walk with the Lord, in the light of His word, what a glory He sheds on our way…
 
“Trust and obey for there’s no other way to be happy in Jesus – than to trust and obey.”


No comments:

Post a Comment