Friday, April 1, 2011

Overcomer - Tony Manley

Stay with me…

Over –  1.  directionality  - Go over the __________(you fill in the blank)             2.  Over there (“I am so over that”)  3.  Finished (the end of)
Overcomer – climbed, navigated, wrestled, struggled, fought, winner, Won! Victor! Champion – top of the mountain! The trophy holder

The word overcomer is in my heart (which by the way is my place of war!).  God loves an overcomer; He even equips me with the Holy Spirit and gives me His word so that I can be an overcomer.  Thus, the war – if I am equipped and I know God loves an overcomer, what is the problem?!  To overcome something for me is not always easy – thus the difference between just stopping/quitting versus overcoming!  Some things I can just walk away from (chocolate with nuts), but other things in my life are struggles to overcome,  not so easy to pass up or let go of - hurt feelings, opposition (this can be a biggie and I am really trying to grasp with clarity how to endure opposition well with Jesus as my example. “Consider Him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.” Heb. 12:3), hurtful words, misinterpretation, disappointment in people’s responses or lack of response.  The closer the relationship the greater the struggle to “overcome.”  I am sure I have a longer list, but again God tends to work specifically in my heart with a few at a time!  I know overcoming offers reward – the reward of victory, freedom, rest, strength, and protection.  Scripture speaks to the truth of overcoming! 
(Matt. 6:18, Mk. 9:24, John 16:33, Rom. 12:21, 1 John 5:4, Rev. 2:7, 2:17, 2:26, 3:12, 3:21, 21:7, 21:7 -  Just a few for starters)

 I love God’s individualized plan of working in my heart to be an overcomer.  Often He gives me a word, such as overcomer, and then He becomes my tutor in bringing meaning to the word with experiences and opportunities.  I couldn’t ask for a better position than to be instructed by the great Overcomer!  “O Lord, the King (I) rejoice/s in Your strength.  HOW GREAT IS HIS (MY) JOY IN THE VICTORIES YOU GIVE.”  Ps. 21:1

No comments:

Post a Comment