Monday, April 4, 2011

Could...but Should? Tony Manley

“It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.”  Gal 5:1
I hear so much about freedom in Christ and I am very grateful for the position of freedom – free from the penalty of sin, free from fear, free from guilt, free from condemnation, free to be who God has called me to be and to do what He has equipped me to do.  Which leads me to the question – “just because I could, does it mean I should?”  God is teaching me to ask this question in settings where I want to exercise freedom, but perhaps my freedom is not the wisest choice for that setting.  Whether the freedom to express my opinion or listen to conversations that are hurtful to my heart or another’s heart/name, the freedom to go or do an activity, the freedom to eat, exercise, or dress – these are all circumstances that require me asking “I could, but does it mean I should?”  I realize wisdom is an important element in living in freedom which requires courage and having a clean heart.  To be free means exercising a lot of self-control!  What a strange truth, yet freeing promise!!  Again, God’s ways are not my ways or thoughts (Isaiah 55:8) but true freedom comes from Him, His word and ways.  Only the Holy Spirit would be so kind as to lead my heart to begin thinking about the wisdom of using my freedom as a means to bring my flesh and all its drives under His control!  As I walk daily with the Lord, I pray I will choose to be free in not only the “coulds” but also the “shoulds”!

No comments:

Post a Comment